Sunday, April 10, 2011

It's Dynamite!

Tonight, the boys were watching America's Funniest Videos, which they often do because they think it's a hoot, and an interesting video came on. They were watching this video and I'm standing behind them watching them watch the video. I wanted to see their reaction and see if they figured anything out or if I was going to have to face a barrage of questions at the end. It was a video a mom had taped of her two sons, about the same ages as my boys. They were in their back yard and the older one was holding a clean, unused "feminine hygiene product that has a string" across his flat palm, with the string dangling off the side. The mom asked the boys what that was. Here's the exchange:

Mom: What is that?
Boy: It's dynamite.
Mom: It is?
Boy: Yeah.
Mom: Where did you find it?
Boy: Over there, by the fence, on the ground.
Mom: Was it in anything?
Boy: Yeah, it was in some kind of wrapper.
Mom: Oh. Well, what do you think we should do with it?
Boy: (After thinking for a second...) Give it to the police.
Mom: Yeah? Well, maybe we should put it away now so no one gets hurt.

Now, first, I must say, I can't believe that mom could have that whole conversation without even cracking a smile. It was hilarious! The kid was so concerned about the dynamite. So, after the video is over, the scene pans to the audience who were all laughing and clapping. I'm thinking, "Oh boy. What are the boys thinking? What are they going to ask me? Man, I hope I don't have to start explaining things." etc. About that time, Levi pipes up and says, "That's not dynamite, Dummy. That's a candle!" I about busted out laughing. It was sooo funny and Indy didn't even disagree with him!! They're so cute! Such innocence. Too bad it doesn't last longer.

No comments: