Friday, July 17, 2009

Need Tooth Advice

I need some help and you guys are so great at giving helpful advice, so please comment with whatever helpful hints you have.

A few weeks ago we took Levi in to the dentist and she fixed two of his teeth. He got one crown and one filling. He did great that day. The next week I took him in for round two, but he completely freaked out and they couldn't do a single thing. I took him to a sedation dentist to see if they could help and how much it would cost. Turns out there's good and bad news: The bad news is that my dental insurance is almost used up for this year, so we're going to have to pay a lot out of pocket. The good news is that my medical insurance will cover 80% of the sedation fee, which is also a lot, so what's left for us is not much. However, we can't get into the sedation dentist until August 21. We have that appointment scheduled.

By the time we had gotten to our initial visit at the sedation dentist, Levi's one complete cavity was broken, leaving a big hole where the filling was. Ugh. He's had no pain, so I haven't really worried about it. Last week, when I took Indy for a cleaning and check up, I asked the dentist about the broken filling and something about the crown. He still had no pain, but she confirmed that the filling had fallen out or broken or something.

A couple days ago, Levi woke up in the middle of the night with a lot of pain in his tooth. He's had it ever since Wednesday night and this is Friday morning. And, this morning, I caught him with the bandaids, trying to put one in his mouth on the cavity. Poor baby. I've been giving him Motrin at bedtime, just so he can sleep, which has helped some. But, during the daytime, I don't know what to do for his tooth pain. I've tried vanilla and he hates it. I've tried Ambisol, and he hates it. He won't let me put either one of those back in his mouth. I don't really want to keep giving him Tylenol or Motrin, but he's starting to not eat, which is a very bad sign for him. He's choosing not to eat, saying he's not hungry. When I ask, he confirms that it's really because his tooth hurts. And, now he's getting really cranky, like a little evil child. I know that's not him and I know what an awful pain a toothache is. No wonder he's cranky, but we've got 5 weeks until his sedation appt. So, do you know of anything I can do to help his tooth pain? A tea, poultice, something? Please leave comments with your ideas and I'll report back if any of it helps. And, if you think of it, please, please pray for relief for his pain, especially since we're going on vacation next Friday. I would really hate for my family in NC, who hardly ever see him, see him as a little monster.

Ok, that's it. Thanks in advance for your help.
Mylinda :-)

2 comments:

Truth said...

If he is in pain, I would call the dentist. Pain like that is usually considered an "emergency" with most dentists and they somehow can squeeze you in anyway. But yeah, with the sedation thing, it is harder. Have you checked for a cancellation?

I wouldn't let it go. Having pain, is there anyway he would be willing to let the regular dentist take away the pain? Is it a pediatric dentist? We used a pediatric dentist who was wonderful. Has Levi gotten to watch his siblings get their teeth worked on? We've used headphones and such that helped.

But my grandson, Ethan, had to go the sedation route. Not fun either.

I'm so sorry your little guy is going through this. These can be such tough situations.

Mylinda said...

Yes, his regular dentist is a pediatric and he watched Indy get some work done. He's also had work done by her before and she is wonderful. However, I did ask him this morning if he would go to her and he started crying and said no. I'm not sure what to do because if I get him fit in their schedule, will he freak out and not let them do anything?? I'm so frustrated not knowing what to do. Argh....