Friday, October 2, 2009

St. Augustine, Part 3

After we left the Old Jail, we drove over to the Fort in St. Augustine. There are more pictures, but the other family's kids are in them, too, and I don't really like to put pictures of other people's kids on here unless I have spoken to them, so you won't see those pictures unless you come to my house! (Come and visit sometime!!)

Anyway, when we went inside the fort, there were 4 guys dressed up as soldiers and they put on a display of their black powder guns.

While we were waiting for them to shoot, we looked over into the bay and saw a pod of dolphins swimming by! It was so neat! I got a couple pictures of them. I don't think I've ever seen a whole pod in the wild before. Pretty cool! I've seen one here and there, but never in a pod like that.
Here's the kids by one of the cannons.

Levi and Indy were running around from cannon to cannon pretending to shoot pirates. It was so cute!

Here's Indy on the top of the fort looking over into the courtyard area.

The boys really liked the fort.... I knew they would. I think they would have been perfectly happy to stay there and check it all out, except that it was so stinkin' hot!! Ugh. Plus, we were with the other family and the mom was ready to go because the little guy had had it. He was pooped and cranky. So, we left. I wish we could have stayed a little longer so the boys could really have looked all through the rooms and played more, but that's ok. They got the jist of it.
I think the main reason I even wanted to do such a quick trip to a place more than 6 hours away was that Indy has been learning about the start of America in school. We've talked about the Vikings, Christopher Columbus, the pilgrims, and even St. Augustine. So, I thought this was a great time to visit and make it more real to him. He was very impressed and I read the self-tour guide to them for some of the info. Overall, it was a fun trip and I am really glad we went. Ahhh, the joys of homeschooling.
(In case you're curious, Ashton did not go with us. Since she's in school now, she had to be in school that day, so she stayed home with Nicky and we did miss her. I wished more than once that she had been there. Oh well. Maybe next time.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally got to see your blog about the trip. It sounds like a great trip; both fun and entertaining. The pictures are great. The picture of Levi in the stocks looks like Aaron.

Interesting hair cuts the boys have. Did you have their pictures taken before the haircuts? later, Mom