Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Trip Pictures #2

Remember I told you about walking in the clouds? Or did I? Well, here it is. One day we went for a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway. As we were stopped at one of the overlooks, Savannah spotted this pine tree sticking out of the rocks. I love unique tree shapes, so she took a picture of this one. Pretty cool, huh?

This was the view from the place where we stopped to have a picnic lunch.

The road not taken.....
The higher we drove, the closer the clouds got. The kids thought this was really cool to see the clouds so close.
When we got to this point, the clouds seemed to be surrounding us. I rolled down my window and let the kids stick their hands out the window to touch the clouds. They were so excited!
A clouded valley....
We finally actually got fully into the clouds. And, we found a visitor center. Of course, we stopped and got out. The kids ran for joy in the clouds. It was so neat to watch them. And, it was so cool up there, too! Luckily we had some jackets in the car because we really needed them! Just 15 minutes before it was hot as all get out, and here it was cool enough for a jacket. It was neat to get a "glimpse" of winter weather in the dog days of summer! :-)

This is the visitor center we stopped at. The park ranger who was there said the weather and clouds were like that all the time. See my mom taking a picture of me taking a picture? We laughed.
Finally we headed back down the mountains and as we did, we stopped at several overlooks to enjoy the view. Ashton just had to climb these rocks!
One of the overlooks. See how high it is?? 4760 feet above sea level. I live like 2 feet above sea level! lol
There were several of these covered tunnels cut out of the mountain. They were really cool. We even rolled down the window and shouted just to hear our echo!! lol It was funny.
Another day, we went on a family picnic back at the geyser. This picnic included some second, third, and fourth cousins I hadn't seen in years. It was so much fun! This is the "creek" that runs beside the geyser. Savannah took this picture. She does good, doesn't she?
All the kids played in the creek for a long time. It was hot and then it rained, so they were wet anyway. I guess they figured it wouldn't even matter. It didn't. lol They had so much fun playing together. I really like getting my kids with cousins up there because we don't really have too many cousins down here and certainly none on my side.
Here's another one of the creek that Savannah took. I thought this one came out really good.
While we were at the geyser, the train went by. The kids ran across the whole field to get a good view of the train. I got there a little late, but the conductor had already waved at them.
One day the girls went horseback riding at a friend's ranch. They had a lot of fun. The boys didn't get to go because it cost a little too much for all of us to go. But, they did let Indy sit on the horse.


One night, my SIL Leslie came in and told me to get my camera and go to my room. There sat Levi and Aaron in the chair "reading" Horton Hears a Who. It was so cute! Unfortunately, Levi looked up as I walked in, so it's not as candid as I would have liked. Oh well.
We also went on a "treasure hunt". Actually it's called Letterboxing. You can do a search for letterboxing online to find out more about it and if there are any letterboxes in your area. Basically, people put together some sort of box with a pad of paper and stamp. They post directions online on how to find it and then you take your own pad of paper and stamp with stamp pad. You find it and stamp your stamp on their pad and their stamp on your pad then leave a message telling them where you're from. It's pretty cool to see what people have been there. Here we found one in a state park about 10 minutes from my mom's house. It was a fun adventure.


This is the lake in the state park. So pretty.
My mom likes to play board games with all my kids. She plays Scrabble a lot with Ashton and Uno with Indy and other misc. games with Savannah. Here she's playing one of Aaron's board games with Indy and Aaron.
Well, that's it for group #2. Tomorrow is the third and final entry for trip photos. Just know that I actually took about 400 pictures!! This is only a fraction, but a good array of things we did. See you tomorrow!!

No comments: