I've lived in and around a big city all my life. Tonight as I drove home from a meeting, I was thinking of some things I like and things I dislike about "the big city." Here they are....
1. I like that there are so many choices available to me for grocery stores, shopping malls, restaurants, libraries, churches, movie theaters, entertainment, etc.
2. I dislike all the traffic and lines everywhere I go...all the time. (Well, usually the middle of the night is less crowded and yes, I know this first hand. lol)
3. I like accessibility to such an array of different cultures. People from all over the world live here and it's really cool to be able to meet them and learn about their cultures and countries.
4. I dislike the crime that can be associated with the big city, even within the government.
5. I like the job opportunities that are usually here. Even if you can't get a job in your field, you can usually get something...anything...even a grocery bagger.
6. I dislike (REALLY dislike) that at about 1/3 of the stores I shop at, I must have my receipt checked as I leave the store (after I've already stood in line) by a security guard or employee, to make sure I'm only taking items out of the store that I've paid for. Basically to make sure I'm not a crook. Me! The one who returns even a dime if I've been given back too much change. Me! Who will walk all the way back into a store to pay for something the cashier forgot to charge me for. That is sooo insulting to me! Argh.
7. I like having food and entertainment available at almost any time of night. After sitting in the ER with a little one for hours and hours, way into the night, it's nice to be able to drive through a McDonalds or something to get a little snack.
8. I dislike the high prices associated with living in the big city.
9. I like having so many opportunities/choices for my children, such as sports programs, Vacation Bible Schools, museums, libraries, parks, nature centers, etc.
10. I dislike the constant noise and lights.
11. I like the access to some of the best medical care in the world.
12. I dislike having to watch my children so carefully and that they can't have the freedom to just ride their bikes all over the neighborhood all day and show back up at home at dinner time.
I think there's more, but it's late and I'm tired and I knew that if I didn't write this now, I'd never write it later. Besides, I'd probably never even remember what I wanted to write about! lol I could write another pro/con post about living in South Florida. That would be interesting, huh? Maybe later. :-)
3 comments:
Good list. I don't live in too big of a city...but I agree with you!
I'll be good. No comment. love, Mom
I agree with all of these too. Although, on #6, I put my receipt away when the cashier gives it to me and I walk right by the person at the exit, smile and say, "Thank you." (with one exception, at BJs) I don't have a problem with other stores, Home Depot included. I feel like it's an invasion of my privacy to ask for my receipt. How can they expect me to keep track of it if I have to keep it in my hand to show them? If I lose it, I can't return something. I put it away and walk out without showing it. Think about it, usually at Home Depot, there are several people exiting the store all at the same time, and many of them have lumber or awkward things on those hand carts...so they can't possible check everyone, they just want to check as many as possible. I'm one of those impossible ones. LOL
Post a Comment