Tuesday, June 9, 2009

VBS

Sorry, no menu this week. We have one, but I'm too lazy to put it up. Next week.

The boys are in a nearby church's Vacation Bible School this week and they're having a great time! It seems that in the last few years, all our local churches, including mine, have gone to this nighttime VBS, which I, personally, don't care for. I know in one sense it's great because people who work during the daytime can participate, but for those of us who are home during the daytime, I'm not too keen on it. As a matter of fact, the first year our church went to the nighttime thing, which was 2 years ago, I did participate, in an effort to not judge before I actually tried it. I hated it. I was out at church every single night that week, while Nicky was home alone. I didn't like that, and they kept telling me to just have him come with me. Yeah, right. The man gets up at 4am to go to work and doesn't get home until 5:30 and you want him to come to VBS? I don't' think so. I had to make dinner super early so we could eat before we went, which was very early so I could get my classroom ready. Plus, by the time it was time to head out to VBS, we had already had a full day and I, not to mention the little ones, were already pooped. And, we didn't ever get home until nearly 9pm, which is really late for little guys whose bedtime is normally around 7-7:30. It didn't work well for us. So last year, when our church did nighttime VBS, I didn't participate and neither did my little ones. I think Ashton actually volunteered and got a ride with one of the teachers who lives near us. Then, this year, they decided to have an 11-week all-day summer camp, which will really meet the need for working parents, plus it has a VBS style in the morning and sports and other stuff in the afternoon, so they're still getting the VBS thing. That led to them not being able to do VBS and camp both during the summer, so we had our "VBS" during spring break, at night, but it was only 4 nights and it began on Sunday night and ended on Wednesday night. I could handle that. Remember my Jerusalem Marketplace? It was a blast and I didn't leave Nicky home alone too many nights. (Though he probably would have liked the peace and quiet! lol)

That leads to no VBS during the summer time, hence, our attending another church's VBS this week. Actually, I think it's really the ONLY church left around here that's still doing the daytime thing. I am sooo happy! Since I really can't afford summer camp, and frankly, am too cheap to pay for it while I'm sitting home, this works out great for the boys to go to "camp" this week....and it's FREE!! Whoo hoo for "FREE"!! lol They're having a ball and they can say they went to "camp" this summer. Plus, it gives me a few days, well half-days anyway, to do some stuff around here without them underfoot. Today I'm working on the back room. Please, PLEASE pray for me on this. This is a job I have severely needed to undertake and am looking forward to doing, but also dread at the same time. I MUST get this room cleared out and organized a little better before I start yet another school year, so I covet your prayers. Pray that I will actually do it and not just look at it and long to do it. Pray that I will not have my "sentimental ire" up and not throw anything out. Pray that I will have wisdom as to what I really need to keep so I can use for the boys down the road, and not just keep a bunch of useless stuff I'll never use. Pray for discernment for me. And, that I'll have the time to do it. It's a really big job and not only does it need to be cleaned out and organized, but I want to put some new shelves and rearrange the ones I have, so I'll need to know or "see" what works best. Pray for that "eye" for me, since I don't naturally have it.

Back to the VBS thing. Awww.... Each morning, I have to check them in at the front desk, and then they are walked to their group, in the sanctuary. Today there was a mass of people, as there always is, and I told Indy to stand in the loooong line that was for his group, while I stood with Levi and checked him in. His line was much shorter, so I was able to get through it rather quickly. I passed him to the "walker" who took him to his group, briefly watched to make sure he got to his group, then headed back to Indy. He was at the desk already, telling them his name, and was handed his name tag, which he promptly put on himself and walked away, heading into the sanctuary. I met him there and gave him a kiss, as he said goodbye and walked alone up to his group. It was sooo sad to me. Well, not sad really, but definitely melancholy. He checked himself in and walked to his group, all alone, without me. Awwww.... he's getting so big. I know it's great, but it's sad, too, ya know?

Well, since I'm writing this while they're at VBS, and seemingly avoiding starting on my back room, I guess I'll have to go now and actually face that room. Please pray for me. I'm heading in............

2 comments:

Kathy - mom of many said...

Hi,Thanks for telling me about the Wendy's deal but I couldn't make it there yesterday. I was at the hospital with my mom. She was transferred yet again.

I'll be praying for you as you work in the back room. I haven't started on the two rooms I want to de-clutter and organize, but when I start in a week, I'll need prayer too.

Amy said...

Praying for you. You can do. Just try working on the back room for 15 minutes a day or one shelf a day. You have it cleaned out in no time.